provides much more than a daytime school. It
is an outstanding community facility which is open for 14 hours a
day 52 weeks of the year (excluding Bank Holidays), offering the
whole community unrivalled opportunities for lifelong learning,
sports and leisure facilities and arts and cultural activities.
The school has been designed with curriculum and ecological
principles in mind, developed from a teaching and learning
perspective. It has seven flexible multi-purpose areas adjacent to
learning blocks and a central indoor atrium where school and
community activities take place. The sports area is a welcome
addition to the school's facilities and the local community.
People are able to have a swim in the 25m pool, use the new
basketball courts and flood lit football pitches or exercise in the
new, fully-equipped fitness suite. The theatre and atrium are used
for a wide variety of community and social activities.
Balfron High School
grew out of the old Parish School of
Balfron, which can be traced back to the 17th century. In the early
years of the 20th century, there was a strong desire in the local
area that there should be a school, which could provide a full
secondary education for the whole of West Stirlingshire. In 1919,
the school became an intermediate, or "Higher Grade" school, and
additional building took place. In 1925, it was upgraded to a full
six-year secondary school and the name changed to Balfron High
School. For 125 years, the main school buildings were situated on a
rather restricted site between Cotton Street and Roman Road.
In August 2001, a new building was completed, providing the young
people of West Stirlingshire with a school, which has already
become a benchmark for school buildings of the future. Under a
private funding initiative (PFI) agreement, Stirling Council leases
the school from SGP, who manage the facilities. The school will
become the property of Stirling Council in 2027.
Balfron Primary School
serves the village of Balfron and the
surrounding rural area. The present building was opened in 1981 to
replace the old local primary school. A three classroom extension
and nursery was completed in September 2003. The school is also
part of the high school campus and we are able to enjoy access to
some of the facilities. The grounds have been extensively developed
in the past four years in partnership with parents and children and
supported by the Parent Council and the community.
is part of the Primary school, and offers
places for 3 - 5 year olds during term time.
|Balfron High School
|Balfron Primary School
Call 01360 440940 to confirm details and prices for the use of the